2/01/2014

Unexpected adventure or how to get (not) from Krakow to Banska Bystrica


This story had to be mainly about the cheap route of how to get from Krakow to Slovakia (and Banska Bystica in particular), but due to some difficulties it turned into my personal mini-adventure.

If you wonder how to get from Krakow to Slovakia, you might find different options. Direct bus to Banska Bystrica for 200 zl. (almost 50 euros), via connection trains(one of them might lead you even to the boarder of Czech Republic), via bus to Bratislava(service provided via Polskibus), via Katowice (depends on your timetable), Lysa Polana and Chocholow. 

 

I decided to try out the latter one. On my way, I decided to visit Zakopane, a prominent and famous Polish skiing resort. But just for sightseeing this time. Anyway after a pleasant time spending in Zakopane and enjoying beautiful landscapes, market called Krupowki, house upside-down, I had to leave. Story is not about that.

After a confusing bus seeking process, I finally found it and literally jumped into it, as it was already leaving. So the bus costs 5 zlotych(Polish money) and goes through Witow to Chocholow. Asking the driver to stop there and mentioning the Slovak boarder might be a good tip, since basically no signs will tell you that.

Once you are at the "bus stop", you have to turn left one the first turn and...just walk. On your way you will find a sign that the bridge was constructed by the money of EU, and stuff like that, and frankly speaking that turned out to be confusing for me. But nevertheless I kept on going and finally cars coming along the road from the other side, with Slovak numbers made me assured that I am in right direction.

It took me round 20 minutes of fast walking to come from the bus stop from Chocholow to Sucha Hora, which is approximately 3 km. And as I arrived I learned that the bus has left 9 minutes ago, and the next one is in one hour. If I would catch that bus, maybe the story would be different. But that's "if". So as I waited for the next bus, I learned from the bus driver that I have no chance of getting to Banska today. That was quite reassuring of him, but also quite right, so my mission changed into getting as close as possible to Banska Bystrica and wait.
  
The bus took me to Trstena, a small city, where I had to wait for the train to Kralovany. As I had some time, I took a little walk round the city, to discover synagogue and a market square. Not much one may think, but that's something at least for me and my curiosity.

On my way forward(?!) I took the train from Trstena to Kralovany (via Dolny Kubin). Last one is a small village, where I decided to get to Ruzomberok - at least a bigger city, which would give more options. Also, I kept in mind an option of hitchhiking. After arriving there, I immediately went there and tried it. However I was unsuccessful with the attempt. But the car numbers were mostly from Ruzomberok, so no blame for the drivers for not stopping. I also asked the taxi driver of how I can get to BB at this time (still 9 pm). He said only taxi or hitchhike (and little chances, which it was). And that's 54 km between the cities in big and mighty Europe and central part of it. Oh yes, and the price for the taxi would be 50 euros. 

Other news was also that the building of train station was closed until 3.45, so I had to wait somewhere. I was even considering an alternative option to go to hostel or pension (popular in Slovakia hostel lookalike house). Though two of them were closed so I decided not to try other, so I went back to the center to look for some nonstop cafe or bar. With almost no people around (10 pm!), I bumped into policemen, who answered that there are no non-stop bars except of gambling place with playing automats. I had to charge the phone and drink some tea, so I was going for that option. A place called Admiral, looked more or less fancy, but as I was approaching it, I heard some music, to discover, that 10 meters away, there was a cafe called People's Lounge. It was written that it is opened till 12 on Monday, so it was definitely good news for me, as it looked quite ok. After ordering tea, finding comfortable place there and going online - a process of time-killing began.

I managed to finish a book by Ian McQueen "Amsterdam", plan my next month schedule, next trip (hope that will be more successful in terms of time management). I was even close to writing a poem with 4 verses. But stopped only at the amount of 2 and some drafts for future. Another good news for me, where 4 drunk and willing to drink more Slovaks (god bless them), due to whom the waiter didn't close the cafe until 2.40. After that time I had to go somewhere. Luckily not far away there was a gas station, where another cup of hot tea waited for me. Again there was free Wi-Fi, so I had more time to read and kill thus the waiting process. This time some Spanish words and grammar. Magnifico)

At around 3.50 am I went to the train station, which was opened, but extremely cold there. Having waited there for 10 minutes, I went to the almost empty, but warm train. My next stop was Vrutky. A connection towny (tiny town),with 8 thousand people. At that time (around 5 pm) it was rather crowded, with people going to work/study/fun(?) on the direction to Banska Bystrica. Finally hearing Banska Bystrica from the announcement was like eating a cucumber with honey - not so tasty after all, but sweeet!




The route of trip was - Krakow(bus) - Zakopane(bus) - Chocholow(walking) - Sucha Hora(bus) - Trstena(train) - Dolny Kubin(bus) - Ruzomberok(train) - Vrutky(train) - Banska Bystrica. The total price - 9.86 euros. With all the tea drunk and some food - 14.00. Still quite cheap I think and the priceless for me mini-adventure in addition.

I will remember this trip quite an interesting and adventurous one. Of course it’s not that exotic as if I was in India or somewhere, however in my terms, I enjoyed it somehow, and got this, what I call travel fever - desire to explore even more. 

Hope this story might have some travel tips for somebody as well. The route is a lot easier and more cheaper if you don't stay in Zakopane. There is also other more direct options available during the day (for example not going from Ruzomberok to Vrutky, but directly to BB(I had to do it because of not having a desire to wait more)).

See you soon somewhere!



No comments:

Post a Comment