1/19/2013

Georgia. Armenian Community in Georgia. NY party

As part of my New Year's celebration in wonderful Georgia, a New Year's party with Armenian community was planned. My friend David, invited me there, as also provided me with a bed for two days. The party took place in the district called "Avlabari", which is known to be a former Armenian one. Near Avlabari metro station there is an Armenian church and also traders of Armenian decent can be found there. It is also on the way to Sameba (the new church of Holy Trinity) which is worth visiting for sure.

The party started at about 8 p.m., so as we arrived there I got acquinted with David's friends, who gave me a warm greeting. After some preparations were done, the celebration started with some official greetings from the priest of Armenian Church and leader of Armenian Federation. What was kinda sad, was the fact that embassador didn't show up, but instead send his assistant. I hope he had a valid reason to be absent, as I think that this community trully deserves to be prized for all the efforts they are doing and a show up of the embassador would trully be appreciated, even for a while.

The celebrations proceeded with a lot of dances which I liked; moreover I managed to almost master one. I am very proud of it. It is called Kochari. Also now I know some traditional Caucasian dancing moves, which are quite funny, but nevertheless joyfull. Also there was a lot of Armenian traditional songs performed both by organizers and members of community. 

Besides celebrating New Year, one of the aims was also to collect money for Syrian Armenians, who at the moment are facing war. The part of ticket price was devoted to this, as well some auctions were held to gather some costs.

In general lots of songs and events were perfomed, however, what I think is not a good thing, that they are held simultaneously with eating, which causes some lack of attention. But I suppose it is such a tradition here.

I would like to thank this community for great organization and fun I had, and personally my friend David for the invitation. My acquitance with Armenian culture continues...

photos by Sergo Arekelyan

No comments:

Post a Comment