11/24/2012

Armenia. Ukrainian Diaspora

On 18th of November I had a pleasure to be invited to a meeting with Ukrainian Youth Community "Unist". Two of my friends, one from Holland and one from Poland (EVS volunteers from APY) are doing some photo shooting, so I decided to come with them. 

Mo, Bartek, Meri and me
The road to the place, where the meeting had to be held, was quite an exiting one, cause I was told to come to Main Post office, which turned out to be the new main post office, but the meeting was at another place - soviet post office - a big 16th floor building. Nevertheless, I just managed to learn more places on my way, so I have nothing to complain about.


Finally managed to reach the meeting, I got acquinted with the organizator of the meeting. Her name is Mari, and her grandmother comes from Zaporizhia. She is also the president of this youth organization. After chatting a little bit with her, we were waiting for the performances to start. By the way, meeting was called "Osin zbyrae druziv"(Autumn gathers friends) and was planned as a concert, as well as ceremony to award winners of the photo competition "Under the sky of Armenia".

Girls performing song "Ukraine, Ukraine"
The presenter started with a beautful poem by Sosyura "Love Ukraine". She also said that part of the programm will be in Russian in order for others (Greek community and some Armenian guests) to understand it. However still almost whole programm was in Ukrainian. I have to admit that the reality of Ukrainian diaspora in Post Soviet states has to strongly cooperate with russian speaking society. As Mari also told me, their meeting are conducted in Russian because a lot of ancestors, members and those who are interested in Ukrainian culture - simply doesn't know Ukrainian. But very soon this community will start Ukrainian Lessons Classes.

The programm advanced with poem by Kostenko. Later there was a passionate song from  Greek participant. later two girls performed song "Ukraine, Ukraine". I liked their voices and the way they performed (and even with some technical problems they managed to keep their head).

Participants of the concert
The concert was also made in cooperation with Greece society, which was actually easy to explain - minority societies have to cooperate strongly with each other. And I think it was a good choice, both sides had a lot of fun. As I was also told, Greek community is the most active one. They have quite charismatic persons within their members. And I really enjoyed their dances. There was also some classic music played by Armenians on guitar and fluite. 

Ms. Romaniya, the head of Ukrainian Federation, actually raised a question of low attendance, and she was completely right, but considering the fact that the organization is quite new, but at the same time very passionate and has desire to work, I think they have the capability to work successfully.

I was very pleased to listen to Ukrainian songs, see Ukrainian dances and just to chat a little on my native language.I know that this is not my last attendance of such evenings, and I will do anything in my power to help of the development of the organization.


No comments:

Post a Comment