11/19/2012

Armenia. Yerevan Zoo


While spending some time in another city which I visit, besides of football stadiums(which is my passion), I also try to go to the zoo. Yerevan Zoo wasn't an exception as well. 


I understand the view of those who say that zoos are bad because animals are kept in cages which restricts their freedom. Hard not to agree with that. However, the counterargument I always use is the fact, that for some animals, zoo is a only way to survive, because otherwise they would either be killed by poachers or deprived from their areas and environment by specific activities of people. In addition, the zoo is a chance for people who have limited resources to actually see the animals. For example biologists and zoologists. Not to mention the joy of children, who see the heroes of their favourite cartoons and books.

At first glance, the zoo is quite good, the entrance is decorated with figures of animals, which are created from plastic bottles. Quite original style (overall I must say that there are a lot of such compositions in the city that is made from recycled tires, bottles, etc.). Also which immediately caught my eyes on the lawn was freely walking ... pheasants. Impressive view.

However, as I proceeded further to the middle of the zoo, the sadder it become. Dirty and dark cells, hungry and poor animals. In addition, I saw some rats running around! Emotions are just "wooow". I caught a glance of hate in the eyes of a tiger. Actually cencere abhorrence rather than look at the victim.

Also, the behaviour of some Armenians towards the animals impressed me negatively. Some of them were knocking on cages of poor animals, thus behaving, sorry for the word, worse than animals.

Structure (the planning) of the zoo is not also good. Everything is situated very chaotic, and in order to get to one of the departments, one needs to come back and return. I had the opportunity to visit the Berlin Zoo. And that to me is just now a standard. So while visiting other zoos, I try to comparise them with this ideal.

Selection of animal species is quite big, but it actually only means that more animals suffer. I understand that Armenia is not a very developed country with relatively limited resources, however, if one want to change something, they should start with small things. My favourite quote is "Think global, act local". At the same time, almost all  people ride expensive foreign cars, and almost every family has a car (but that's another story). There are also a lot (really a lot) of organizations which could make the difference. 

Luckily, I was there with my friends, so despite general sad situation we had some good time there.

To summarize, my emotions were very contrasting.

Also, according to Wikipedia,- in April 2011, "New capabilities will be created for animals, so that they will  feel they are not in the cage, but in their natural habitat. The territory assigned to each animal will be increased." I hope it's not just words, and some actions will really be taken. I will visit zoo again in the spring to see whether some changes are made.

Official site of the zoo:
http://www.yerevanzoo.am/

No comments:

Post a Comment